Contact Us

Use the form on the right to contact us.

You can edit the text in this area, and change where the contact form on the right submits to, by entering edit mode using the modes on the bottom right. 

26 Peverells Rd
Chandler's Ford, SO53 2AT
United Kingdom

07999 698916


How to Avoid Condensation

Claire Parkinson

At this time of year, condensation can be a frequent occurrence in all properties.  As all Landlords and tenants know, it is important to monitor condensation, as excess water within a property is rarely a good thing!

What is condensation?

Condensation is the water produced when warm, moist air or steam meets a cold surface – such as windows, walls or floors.

Condensation is not a rare problem. Many homeowners have experienced this nuisance. In order to control condensation and mould, all rooms need to be well ventilated and any condensation formed needs to be mopped up or removed.

Condensation is easy to create and tricky to get rid of, however, by following these simple tips, you can avoid the nasty mould maker…


Try to open the windows in your home every day. When the weather permits, consider keeping a window open at night to maintain airflow.

Tip 2 – HEATING:

Keep your house at a constant temperature (at least 15˚c in cold weather) in line with your fuel economy requirements. This applies even if you are out in the evening or during the day.


When bathing, and after bathing, keep your bathroom door closed and the window open. Use an extractor fan within the bathroom.  If the bathroom does not have a window, then fitting a good quality, powerful extractor fan is an excellent investment.


Never cover or block any air vents. Not only will this increase the likelihood of condensation but it could also be dangerous. Following this; don’t allow your furniture to cover any air vents. Always leave a gap between any furniture and the wall.


When cooking in the kitchen or drying clothes, keep the kitchen door shut and open a window. Always use the extractor fan, if one is fitted, and keep the lids on all pans when cooking.


When the weather is dry, always try to dry your washing outside. If the weather is not permitting drying outside, try to refrain from drying your washing on your radiators! This will only create water vapour. Instead, place washing on a dryer rack, in a cooler room, and close the door. Always ensure your tumble dryer is properly ventilated by using the pipe provided with the machine.


Unfortunately, even if you follow all of these tips, there is still a chance that condensation could creep its way into your home!

If this has happened, here are some measures you can take to prevent any further problems:

·        Always mop up condensation on window sills, panes, and cold surfaces as soon as it appears.

·        Carefully, wash off any mould that appears on any walls and ceilings as a result of condensation. Use any household ‘mould and mildew remover’, but pay particular attention to walls behind furniture. Always allow surface to dry fully before returning furniture to original positions.

·        Brush off any mould that appears on furniture or clothing, and air thoroughly. 

Why are Fire Safety Labels so important?

Claire Parkinson

You may have noticed on your Inventory Report the term “Fire Safety Label present”.  What does this mean and why is it so important?

The Furniture and Furnishings (Fire Safety) Regulations 1988/1989, 1993 and 2010 apply to any rental property which includes furniture and soft furnishings.

The regulations are designed to ensure that upholstery components and composites used for furniture supplied in the UK meet specified ignition resistance levels and are suitably labelled.

What kinds of furniture is covered?

·       Any type of upholstered furniture, including chairs, settees and sofas, ottomans and padded stools.  Sofa beds, futons and convertible beds are also included.  Bean bags and floors cushions also come under this area.

·       Garden and outdoor furniture is included, especially if it can be used indoors.  So if you have padded cane furniture in your conservatory, or an outdoor seating area with padded cushions, these items would be included.

·       In the bedroom, the regulations apply to divans, bed bases, mattresses, pillows and mattress toppers.

·       In your furnished property, if you have provided scatter cushions, or perhaps padded seat pads for wooden chairs, then these items would be included.

How can I be sure my furnishing meet the regulations?

In order to ensure the furniture you are providing in your furnished let complies with the regulations, you should check each item has a “fire safety label” attached.

Each item of furniture or furnishing will have a label attached, stating compliance with the regulations. All new furniture must carry a display label at the point of sale. If your furniture has no permanent label or a permanent label which does not state compliance, then it should be assumed not to comply.

Look for statements that advise that the following:

·       Foams and fillings pass the test

·       Upholstery (covers and fillings) are cigarette resistant

·       Covers are match resistant

However, not all articles require all the above information to be given. For example, loose covers, pillows, cushions and seat pads will have a label with a caution, the name and postal code of the first UK supplier and a description of filling or covering materials.

The regulations also do not apply to bedclothes and duvets, mattress protector covers, pillow cases, curtains, carpets or any furniture made before 1950.

Mattresses and bed bases should have a label showing that they meet BS 7177.

It is worth remembering that supplying furniture and furnishings in your rental which do not comply with the regulations, constitutes an offence under the Consumer Protection Act 1987.   This carries a maximum penalty on conviction of a £5,000 fine and/or six months imprisonment.

Therefore, this is why the Inventory Company lists whether the fire label has been viewed!  If your clerk is unable to locate a fire safety label, we suggest that a follow up visit is completed by the landlord.  If the landlord is also unable to locate the label, the item of furniture should be removed from the property and replaced with an item which does meet the regulations.

For further information on fire safety labels in rental properties, please do have a look at the following links:

How to Rent Guide: What Landlords Need to Know

Claire Parkinson

Did you know that under the changes to the Section 21 Legislation for Landlords in England that came into force on the 1st October 2015, landlords are required to provide all tenants with a How to Rent Guide

The useful eight-page booklet created by the government provides a checklist for those people about to rent a house or flat and provides information on the rights and responsibilities of tenants to help establish and maintain good relationships.

 What information does the guide cover?

 The guide provides tenants with a checklist, starting with the period before looking for a tenancy, then covering rights and responsibilities during and at the end of a tenancy. This helps make sure potential new tenants have considered the implications of their tenancy and are aware of what is required of them. It also provides the usual information on what is required of a landlord.

During the tenancy, the guide lays out a simple list of requirements of all tenants, including:

·       Paying rent on time;

·       Looking after the property;

·       Being considerate to neighbours;

·       Not taking in a lodger or sub-letting without permission.

Furthermore, they are recommended to make sure that they can:

·       Operate the boiler and other appliances;

·       Undertake regular smoke and carbon monoxide alarm checks, and;

·       Report repairs to the landlord quickly.

Information is also provided on the requirements of landlords, including:

·       Maintaining the structure and exterior property;

·       Fitting smoke alarms on every floor and carbon monoxide alarms where necessary;

·       Dealing with utility supply problems such as water, gas or electricity;

·       Maintaining appliances or furniture;

·       Carrying out repairs;

·       Arranging annual Gas Safety Checks where necessary;

·       Providing 24 hours notice of visits;

·       Acquiring necessary licensing, such as for houses in multiple occupation.

It is also recommended that landlords should insure the building to cover costs of damage from flood or fire.

Finally, the guide covers basic information on the end of a fixed period, including areas such as:

·       If the tenant wishes to stay, including signing up to a new fixed term and dealing with rent increase, and;

·       If the tenant or landlord wishes to end the tenancy, including giving notice, return of deposits, up to date rent and bill payments and clearing the property when vacating.

 How Can the Guide Be Provided to Tenants?

 The How to Rent Guide information must be provided to tenants in either hard copy or by email. Landlords may find it beneficial to provide a hard copy to tenants within a property manual or folder, alongside an email copy that will provide proof that the document has been provided.

It is important that tenants receive the most up to date version of the How to Rent Guide, which can be downloaded here, although it is not required that existing tenants must be provided with new, updated versions once the tenancy has begun.

Why must the guide be given to new tenants?

 If the information is not provided, alongside the Energy Performance Certificate and Gas Safety Certificate, then filing a Section 21 Notice to seek repossession of a property cannot be successful. 

Right to Rent: New Immigration Laws for Landlords

Claire Parkinson

Did you know that landlords providing private rented accommodation in England will be asked to complete a Right to Rent check on all new tenants from 1 February 2016 (1 December 2014 in West Midlands) or face fines of up to £3,000 per tenant?

So, what exactly does this mean?

In 2014, the government launched a pilot scheme in the West Midlands to tackle illegal immigration and stop landlords from offering overcrowded accommodation.  After MPs backed the scheme as part of the Immigration Bill in late 2015, this is now set to be rolled out across England from February.

Under the Right to Rent scheme, landlords must check that all new tenants are lawfully residing in the UK on either a permanent, or temporary, basis. This also includes those who are subletting or taking in lodgers. Failure to perform the necessary checks, or knowingly beginning a tenancy agreement with a person who is not lawfully residing in the UK may result in fines of up to £3,000 per tenant.

Who must be checked?

 All new tenants must be checked. It is against the law to only check tenants who are believed to not be British citizens.

Before providing accommodation to someone as their only or main home, all tenants aged over 18 must be checked, even if:

·       They are not directly named on the tenancy agreement;

·       There is no tenancy agreement;

·       The tenancy agreement is not in writing.

For a property to be an only or main home, it must be:

·       The only property a person lives in, or;

·       The property that a person uses for personal, legal or family matters.

Who has a right to rent?

 Relevant nationals all have the right to rent, but must show evidence that they fall within one of the following groups:

·       British Citizens

·       EEA nationals

·       Swiss nationals

Individuals who do not fall within the above groups have a right to rent if they have leave to enter or remain in the UK, which means:

·       They have permission from the Home Office to be in the UK permanently, or;

·       They have permission from the Home Office to be in the UK for a limited period of time.

In cases of limited permission, landlords must ensure follow-up checks take place, usually when the individuals leave is due to expire.

Existing tenants who have an agreement that started before Right to Rent checks are introduced in their area, or have their tenancy renewed before this time, are not affected as long as:

·       The tenancy agreement is between the same people;

·       There is no break in the tenancy.

How are checks made?

Before any new tenancy begins landlords must:

·       Check which adults will live in the property as their only or main home;

·       See original documents that allow the tenants to live in the UK on either a permanent or temporary basis;

·       Check the documents are genuine and belong to the tenant, with the tenant present;

·       Make and keep copies of the documents with a record of the date the check was made.

In instances where verification from the Home Office is needed, a Landlords Checking Service is available.

There is also a comprehensive User Guide on how to perform a Right to Rent check, including which documents are acceptable, printable checklists and letter templates for landlords.

Where can I find more information?

 The following links provide more information:

Learn more about CP Inventories

Claire Parkinson

We are full members of the AIIC – the Association of Independent Inventory Clerks.

The team at CP Inventories regularly attend training sessions with the Association, in order to maintain our knowledge of the latest legislation. 

The AIIC are dedicated to promoting the highest possible standards of accuracy and reliability and have been endorsing high levels of professionalism in the inventory business since 1996.

As an association the AIIC are committed to excellence and professionalism in the property inventory process and work hard to ensure that all landlords, tenants and letting agents understand the importance and benefits of professionally completed property inventories.

For further information about the AIIC, do have a look at their website:


We are also members of Eastleigh Business Network “Happy to Recommend”. 

The Eastleigh Business Network is a group of businesses in south Hampshire which collaborate in business and are happy to recommend each other’s services.  The network is very active within the community, supporting charities and hosting international visitors.

To learn more about Eastleigh Business Network and the amazing work of the members within the community, why not visit the website?

At CP Inventories, we consistently strive to improve our knowledge, spread the word about our excellent service and support others in this process.  If you would like to work with us, please contact us! 

Via email:

Via telephone: Office 023 8027 5294      Mobile 07999 698916

Important update for landlords: Smoke and carbon monoxide alarms to be installed by law

Claire Parkinson

Landlords will be required by law to install working smoke and carbon monoxide alarms in their properties, it was announced on the 11th of March, 2015.

The government advised that this will help to prevent up to 26 deaths and 670 injuries a year.

The deadline for the new measures to be introduced has not been confirmed, but they are expected to take effect from 10th October, 2015.
Read More
Member Login
Welcome, (First Name)!

Forgot? Show
Log In
Enter Member Area
My Profile Log Out